Posted by: Fresh vegetable juice at home | 2009-01-16

Hiya doc
I recently got a juice machine which i' m loving and am making fresh vegetable/fruit drinks for breakfast every day. So far i' m making blends of carrot, cucumber, celery and apple.
Sometimes i add pineapple or oranges too.
After that i eat oats for breakfast, a salad for lunch and usually a salad/ veggies for supper.
I am in the process of losing weight and i find that the drink in the morning fills me up and gives me a boost - but i don' t want to jeopardise my weight by taking in too much fruit/veg - do you think this is ok?
Thanks a lot

Dear JoJo
The diet you are using obviously does make you lose weight which is to be expected because your energy intake is very low. Now although I am the most ardent proponent of fruit and vegetables, you should not stay on this diet for too long as you will start developing deficiencies in the following nutrients: protein, vitamin B12, calcium, zinc, iron, and omega-3 fatty acids. I would therefore, recommend that you do not use this diet for longer than a week per month and use a low-fat, balanced diet for the rest of the month (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet).