Question
Posted by: Sugar craving after eating carbs | 2008/07/25

Jojo

Hiya Doc
I have been following an eating plan set out by a dietician which si very similar to your slimemrs eating plan. Same basic principles.
However, i am now eating more carbs than before (i used to avoid them at all costs) and i find that after i' ve eaten a pasta salad or something wiht a carb in it, i crave chocolate or something sweet.
I don' t have a sweet tooth generally and if i do give in i ususually only have a very small piece of dark chocolate which seems to satisfy teh craving.
What do you think is causing this?
Thanks a lot and have a fantastic weekend!!

Dear Amy
Thank you for the good wishes. I find it strange that you are having carb cravings now that you are eating more carbs than previously. Basically carb cravings are caused by a lack of carbs in the diet and/or low serotonin levels in the brain which can be counteracted by eating more low-fat carbs.
Did the dietitian give you a low-GI diet? If not, discuss the use of such a diet with her because you may need to eat only low-GI carbs and avoid other carbs. For example, seed or rye bread instead of wholewheat bread, brown rice instead of white rice, only pasta made from Durum wheat, etc. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI.
Hope you also have super weekend.