Question
Posted by: Loyiso | 2012/04/04

Joints painful

I have a recurring gout and it becomes worse if i drink acidic drinks such as alcohol. i was asked by my GP to take some blood samples two years ago to determine the level of acid in my body. It was found my uric acid was high. He then introduced me to puricoss 100mg a day. The acid came down first but again went up. He then increased the dosage to 300mg a day. It again managed to control the acid. But again i kept having gout attacks and joint pains. My GP ordered me again in february this year to do another blood test for uric acid. It came out showing high reading. He asked me to increase the dosage to 350mg a day. I have been taking this for a month now with no improvement. What i am feeling now is pain that keeps me awake at night on all the joints (slight pain on fingers and toes), it''s hurting on shoulders, knees, spine joints and sometimes on the one knee. It is now constant especially at night. i could not sleep last night. I constantly wake up at night and in the morning feeling my body stiff. It is now affecting my routine at the gym as i am constantly excersizing at least 4 days a week. Please advise. By body is sometimes very very itchy after having a shower or bath. This also happens if i sweat a bit while in bed. I notice that this itchiness is caused by anything like water or sweatness and it happens when i have the symptoms of acid in my body. Could there be a link with acid / joint pains/gout and the itchy body once wet. What this could be. The puricoss seems not working whatever dosage. My body seems to be used to it. Thanks.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Louiso
It may be that you have developed another form of arthritis as well - the gout being one. If this is really bothersome, ask your GP to refer you to a rheumatologist who specialises in arthritic conditions for a full check up.

3
Posted by: Healthy Bones | 2012/04/11

Dear Louiso

Reply to Healthy Bones
Posted by: Brian | 2012/04/05

Sorry you should see a Rheumatologist

Reply to Brian
Posted by: Brian | 2012/04/05

Hi Loyiso, i also suffer from Gout for many years and take 2mg Colchecine and 600mg Puricoss every day, this being since i was about 40 i''m now 55 and i still have pain, i was tested for RA and was positive, so i have Gout and Rhematiod Arthritis, if your pain persist then it''s best to see a Rhematologist

Reply to Brian