Question
Posted by: Genevieve | 2010/02/02

Joint pains

My right hand started paining on Xmas day. Along my wrist and index finger. After 3 days of constant pain and then spreading to the other hand, my aunt gave me arthrexin pills. The relief only lasted 2 hours. It made the pain a little lighter. I battled with stiffness in my joints and body everyday. Sometimes the stiffness last till after lunch time, sometimes morning only and a few times until I get home after work. A week later the joint pain spread to my knees, ankles, wrists, knuckles, fingers, and toes. I went to my GP and he gave me a stronger anti inflammatory called meloxicam, some mybulen pain killers and a vitamin injection. Another week or so later and even though I have been drinking these pills everyday, the pain spread to my shoulders and even my elbows. I am constantly tired and have always had a very high pain threshold, but now I battled to get up in the morning. I have a one year old son and most of the time I don' t even hear him cry right next to me. In the last month, my husband has been looking after him. I am sometimes swollen and puffy and in the last few days I even battle to keep my eyes open while driving home at night. My hands are so stiff in the morning that I sometimes can even hold my toothbrush or rinse my facecloth. i have seen another doctor mid January since my GP visit on 04 Jan 2010. She has sent me for bloodtests and have even check my thyroid seeing that i was diagnosed in May 2008 and started takin Eltroxin 0.1mg then. It was so bad and I am currently on 2 pills per day. I cannot concentrate at work and for someone that always had an excellent memory, I am beginning to forget things and I lose focus at times. Without the anti-inflammotory I cannot even walk properly the next day because of the pain and stiffness. I have read up on rheumatoid arthritis and have gone for bloodtests. These show nothing, but I have been referred to the Rheumatologists. However, this will take some time as there is a very long waiting list. What is happening to me? What can I do?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Genevieve
Unfortunately a full examination by a rheumatologist is the only way to really get to the bottom of this as he/she will know which blood tests etc to do- sometimes you may have the signs of arthritis, but the blood results show up negative. You may also have something else, but only a specialist will be able to help out.

1
Posted by: Healthy Bones | 2010/02/10

Dear Genevieve

Reply to Healthy Bones