Question
Posted by: lost | 2009-09-17

Jobless depro

2 months ago my employer flew over from HO and told me he is letting me go. There was no warning signs, he did not say that he was unhappy with my work, we were doing ok etc.

I was so shocked I do not even feel angry, I am just empty. I am finding it hard to look forwork as I feel I am no good at anything. I want to burst into tears 3-4 times a day when I think about finding a job again.

How can I get out of this daze, I just feel numb as if I' ve shut down. I just want to sit at home untill the bank comes and take everything. I feel like the deer in the headlights - knowing I should move but unable to.

Check with a labour lawyer or Dept of Labour to be sure your employer did everything he is required to do according to labour law. I'm sure he is required to give due warning, help with finding a new position, re-training, whatver, not to just suddenly dump a good worker because it happens to suit him

3
Posted by: the jobless one | 2009-09-17

I am quite familair with labour law as I work in HR/Recruitment - I made the mistake of accepting the role from a UK firm who was not properly registered in SA as an employer and as such I have no recourse - they can not touch him in the UK!

How does one go into the job market feeling like a total idiot when someone does this? I have to face all the akward questions because your comments is EXACTLY what people ask me about.

Reply to the jobless one
Posted by: Red | 2009-09-17

It' s ok to feel this way now but please don' t sell yourself so short. Something will come up and new opportunities will come your way. They always do. Trust me.

Reply to Red
Posted by: almost mad | 2009-09-17

You boss has to first give you a chance, put you through training etc to improve your work if there is a problem. And he also has to give you warnings first before letting you go.

Reply to almost mad