Question
Posted by: tickles | 2011/02/24

job satisfaction

I started working at this company 8years ago and doing a project for 6 months of the year since I started, which has now become boring,unchallenging,mundane. I have no job satisfaction or joy when I''m at work and this is affecting my health and well-being.

I have spoken to my supervisor so that I may train a colleague, that was short-lived as they felt unsure about the decision and whether this person is capable.

I cannot quit as I need the income. I''ve tried looking for another job but the industry seems flooded and nobody will hire a pregnant person.

I am at my wits end and everyday is a struggle. I need advise on how to make myself feel better about being at work each day. I''m 5 months pregnant and sure my depression is affecting my baby.

HELP!

Finding ones job unsatisfying can be frustrating, or annoying, but one wouldn't usually allow it to make one truly Depressed. Are they really uninterested in enriching your work-load ? Is it possible that some of the hormones of pregnancy might be amplifying your concerns about this ?
VOE makes such a good point about how the charatceristicvs of the job may be very convenient for you once you're dealing with a new baby, after you return to work. And you will have a new and so major source of happiness then.
CBT counselling can also help to change "frames of mind".

5
Posted by: also there | 2011/02/25

I have the same problem at work. So I have enrolled in a correspondence course and do most of my studying and assignments when I am bored at work.

Reply to also there
Posted by: Wise Owl | 2011/02/24

Stop for a moment and draw up a list of all the positive things in your life, your health, you new baby,your marriage(hopefully) your home , food in the fridge and deep freeze, your car , your TV, your computer, your cell phone,your family, the fact you HAVE a job, your salary your comforts. THEN weigh that up against a boring job and suddenly you will feel a whole lot better about your situation. We always tend to concentrate on the small silly irritations and lose sight of all the positive things around us If you consider what you have, you are probably in the top 5% of the worlds population that can be considered fabulously wealthy. Think about it.

Reply to Wise Owl
Posted by: tickles | 2011/02/24

I guess you right, but knowing that I will be returning to this boring project is not my idea of happiness. I cannot see myself doing it for another 2 years, heck no! that''s just insane LOL

The thing is that I''m tired at work due to the boredom and when I get home I''m more so, and this is affecting my home life. I don''t spend enough time with my little boy and take out my frustration on my husband which is not fair. I want to try and change my frame of mind so that this situation can resolve itself but I just don''t know how!

Reply to tickles
Posted by: Voice of experience. | 2011/02/24

When you return from maternity leave you will find boring,unchallenging,mundane is exactly the job u need. Stay were you are untill you have had all your babies, working and motherhood is hard work. You will find this is the perfect job.Look for a new challenging job when the last baby is about 2 years old. Trust me on this!

Reply to Voice of experience.