Posted by: Jane | 2011-01-31

I went for an interview last Monday to one of the biggest companies in the country.
A company that I always dreamt of working for. The following day they requested my payslip and I was told they would like to make me an offer as I was the best candidate a day later they said my salary is far more than what they are offering.
Their offer is R5500 lesser than what I am getting and due to situations that I cannot change in my current position I am considering accepting the offer. If I do will I be making the biggest mistake of my life or will I sound too desperate. I really am desperate to get out of this company and move on to the new environment. When this invite for an interview came I was so excited and prepared looking forward to meet the interviewers.
Please advise

Not my area of expertise, but good sound responses from the other readers

Posted by: Kristen | 2011-01-31

Hi Jane I did it for R2700 less - I actually came back to my old job because I liked the office environment better. But I now realise I should have stuck it out,my increase last year was just R200 (I know I should be grateful for any) the office has
become very unhygenic and with new staff th enviroment is''nt what it was. Now that I''m pregnant I feel the need to kick myself because I really would have been carefree at the old co. So I have major regret.

Reply to Kristen
Posted by: Romany | 2011-01-31

Can you not negotaiet with the new company?
Tell then you really want to work for them but R5500 is huge Maybe they can meet you half way? Ie they go up R2500 and you go down R2500?

Reply to Romany
Posted by: Jane | 2011-01-31

How did it feel after did you not regret your decission

Reply to Jane
Posted by: Vrye Denker | 2011-01-31

Are you so unhappy that you will pay R5500 a month to move to a new company? That is basically what you are going to do. I was in the same position two years ago, although I only had to sacrifice R2000.

Reply to Vrye Denker
Posted by: Jane | 2011-01-31

Thank you all for your advice I think I will jump in the thing is the current company has the same benefits and they are also big as well they are competitors to this other company BUT I AM NOT HAPPY HERE

Reply to Jane
Posted by: Purple | 2011-01-31

If you can live on the lower salary, then make the move to get out of a bad situation. Happiness at work is not to be underated.
People move to lower paying jobs far more often than you would think - I see it about once or twice a month and I''m not at an enormous company.

The HR manager and your direct manager are probably unlikely to remember that you moved for a lower salary, especially ina big company where they deal with a lot of people.

At the interview for my current job I basically told them I would move for the same or even less money (it was shorter hours), but they gave me a really lovely increase.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Horny Guy | 2011-01-31

Jane i hear what you are saying - at one point i was willing to accept R100k less in salary and move. I had a really nasty boss, the working environment was not good, culture was lacking and there was no room to grow within the organisation. My advise to you - go for it.

Reply to Horny Guy
Posted by: corperate type | 2011-01-31

They have aknowledged you current salary is too high for them to match. However employee benefits such as medical aid, pension and death cover is always better in the top companies. Also training and career development is always done in the top corporates and is something money cannot buy if you are ambitous and hardworking. As you are desperate to leave your current job and if you are able to manage on the salary offered l would jump at this chance to work for this company. Remember if you work hard and commit yourself to this company the sky is the limit.

Reply to corperate type