Question
Posted by: Leigh-anne | 2011/08/22

Job Insecurity

Hi Cybershrink

I work for a large, well-established, reputable firm.
Secretary.
Earn way above average R21 400pm.
I work for various difficult people and I work my butt off - I earn every cent. I am versatile and able to multi-task which is my saving grace.
My boss is known to be a difficult man and we have worked well together for 6 years now. He had many secretaries before and their relationship was rather stormy.
He is retiring soon and I have no idea what boss will be coming in (may be more than one as my boss wears various hats).
I am feeling insecure because whilst I have a key position and am good at what I do my boss is kind of 2IC to the CEO so he has a iron hand so to speak. Once he is gone I will be thrown to the wolves quite literally and there are some ad hoc jobs they wanted me to do and he said No I was fully occupied with his work and I am. It can be extremely stressful but having said that I am happy and grateful to have this job.I feel I should look for another job just in case, then I do not know if I am being paranoid.I cannot speak to HR as this woman is about to retire herself and she does not stand up for staff unless it suits her quite honestly.I am 42 now so my age is also a factor. I have a child to support on my own so that is also my fear.I am not sleeping well and feel very fearful indeed.Typing this I think I should speak to my boss about it all.He is super stressed with work at the moment so it will have to be much later.

As the saying goes, he who wears many hats, needs big head.
In the situation you describe, I'd be very surprised if the company was so foolish as to "throw you to the wolves" - especially when a many-hatted senior guy goes, his secretary's experience and lmpw;edge and skills are very valuable to his successor(s).
There's probably no harm in discretely looking for other possible jobs, but they ought to recognize that they need you.
It does make sense to speak yo your boss about this, and he ought to be understanding. He may be very busy in his work at present, but as he is returing ought to be less stressed about it ( unless he is busy putting skeletons in closets ). Maybe mention it to him as something you want to be on the agenda for a good chat between you, but indicate that you recognize how busy he is at present, and would like to find an early opportunity for such a discussion

1