Question
Posted by: SweetPea | 2008/09/09

Job Dilema

Hi Doc and Readers. I am having a bit of a job dilema and i was wondering if i could get a few opinions. I am still in my very early 20' s and I started working straight out of school as an external sales rep but because of working conditions I changed to the media industry and started working in advertising sales. I havent been able to keep a job for more than 8 months but i never planned it that way, it just happened that i kept landing up in companies where i wasnt happy. I am currently at a new media job and i have been with them since January when they first opened so they all really like me because i helped build the company up but the thing is I am miserable in sales. I want to know if it would be a bad idea to start searching for jobs outside of sales or if i should at least stick it out for a year here? The thing is they are really good to me and I would feel so so guilty just uping and leaving but I cant stay in sales, it is affecting my health too. I also dont want it to look bad on my CV by jumping around so much but is it really worth it in the end to be unhappy? Thanks

There's a real advantage in the early stages of one's work life to sticking with jobs where you're not fully happy. I don't mean tolerating abusive work conditions, but its unrealistic to expect bliss from the atart. If you flit from job to job, you get little chance to gain real experience, and future prospective employers with jobs you'll really like, are discouraged by a record of too many brief jobs. You'd probably do best to stay where you are for a year or so --- maybe look for and discuss leasantly with the bosses whether there might be openings outside their sales division. Are you really, really UNhappy, or just not really happy ?
And as Maria rightly says, consider getting some vocational psych testing and career counselling, to match your interests and abilities with jobs you'd be more likely to feel happy in ?

1
Posted by: Maria | 2008/09/09

Is there not something else that you can do within the company you' re at? They like you, they know what you' re worth, and perhaps if you talk to them some other opportunities can be found? You' re right, jumping ship too often does look bad on a cv.

Have you considered going for career counselling to find out what you really do want to do, and perhaps studying part time to work towards that goal?

Reply to Maria