Question
Posted by: Mommy | 2008-11-13

Jo - Prader Willi

Dietdoc, sorry to use your space, but I' d like to reply to Jo' s question.

Yes Jo, I have read up on it and I know what lies ahead for me, but one can never be prepared. I' m under so much pressure and stress trying to help my child live a healthy life, that I had a stroke on the 9th of October this year, I' m 28 years old. What can I do, I didn' t ask for this neither did my child, I' ll just have to learn to live with it.

Dear Mommy
My dear, of course you are allowed to answer Jo's question on my site. I am so sorry to hear about all the distress you have experienced. We have a lassie in our family with Prader Willie and although the condition does present problems which one has to deal with on an ongoing basis (like ensuring that she does not overeat) and she did go to a special school, she lives a fulfilling life and is an absolute darling. Get as much help as you can from professionals like the dietitian and also get together with a physiotherapist because these children tend to not have strong muscles, so they don't do much exercise which makes the weight problem worse. If one can get them to be active then it helps a lot. You mentioned that the costs are a problem. I don't know where you live, but if you are anywhere near a large city (Pretoria, Durban, CT, etc) then contact your nearest teaching hospital (for example Tygerberg Hospital in CT) because there are clinics where you can get help at much reduced costs. Please also look after yourself, because you need to be healthy to help your beloved son.
Holding thumbs for you and the lad