Question
Posted by: Doggy Mama | 2011/05/05

Jealous " Sisters" 

Hi Scotty, I hope you can give some advise. I have a 8yr old Spaniel (girl)(she''s not a bitch) and recently got the dog of my dreams a girl Basset Hound. The Basset is 2 years old now, and obviously demands all of the attention - all the time - that''s how they are. The probem I''m having is the jealousy between the 2 dogs. They play together nicely, but they are extremely jealous of each other. I cant give any attention to one, then the other will wurm their way inbetween or growl/bite make a scene. What can I do to give both of them lots of love and attention without them feeling jealous or left-out.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Doggy Mama, and i agree with you, they should have called female dogs something other than bitches!
What you need to do is to bring in some house rules while at the same time giving them all the love you want too. It is important in a dogs life that it knows who is in charge and often we just love them too much and upset the applecart. Have a look on the Friends website (details under my CV here) on how to incorporate these and make the dogs more secure. It is is an article under Dog Stuff and i think it is called 'Thinking about adopting a rescue dog' or similar. Health 2 will be making a lot of these articles available soon on this site which will make it easier.
Additionally, if they start performing , make a noise like a snort, fold your arms and really march out the room without looking at or interacting with them.Stand on the other side of the door for about 30 seconds and then walk back in and interact with the dogs. If they repeat the behaviour, then you repeat the leaving the room. this is a form of Time Out and one that dogs respond to very quickly as the very worst thing you can do to a dog is to ignore it. Remember that if you are shouting at the dogs and interacting with them when they are showing jealousy, you are (inadvertantly of course) giving them attention.
There are other things you can do, but try and start with the info in the article on hierarchy and the above and if you are still having problems, do give me a shout. Good luck, Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/05/05

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert