Question
Posted by: ENOUGH | 2012/04/02

Jealous dog!!!

Hi, I sincerely hope you can give me advise on our female Basset. She will be 3 yrs in October and not little anymore, but SO jealous. I''m not allowed to hug my husband, not allowed to touch our Spaniel, she always interferes and pushes everyone away cause she wants ALL the attention. She is very possesive and jealous and this is freaking me out now, because I don''t know how to handle this, and she irritates me with this behaviour. Did I get the wrong dog for my personality?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Enough! no you did not get the wrong dog, just have allowed a situation to get out of control as you did not know any better. If this is the 'fault' of anybody, it is of people in my profession as we did not educate enough! What I would suggest is to read the article on my site www.friendsofthedog.co.za in the Dogstuff section called House Rules.
Start to bring these in one at a time to show her that you (and rest of the family) are the leaders in the combined human/canine pack.
The one that will be the most important where your little one is concerned is No Demanding Behaviour. Attention is given on your terms, or else not at all. If she comes up and tries to interfere when you are hugging husband etc, just totally ignore her and dont even look at her, talk to her, speak to her. when she give up (and she will), give her about 30 seconds to digest the change in circumstances, call her, ask for a sit and then interact with her. What you are now doing is giving her attention on your terms, not hers.
This needs to be done every single time, in every single situation in order to be successful. For example if she jumps up on the chair to be with you, gently, with no interaction, put her on the floor. If you have to do this 20 times in a row it does not matter - do it. again, when she has given up and walked away, and you do want her on the chair with you, call her back and invite her up. It is now on your terms not hers.
If you are battling to bring this all in then I would suggest you get a behaviourist in to help you. Just give me a shout and i will put you in touch with somebody in your area. thks S

3
Posted by: Anja | 2012/04/14

Hi Zenobia. It would be best if you know people are arriving, to put your puppy on a leash and teach her to stay. It is easier to control her and bring her back to your side while on a leash.

Reply to Anja
Posted by: zenobia | 2012/04/14

what must I do to stop my border collie jumping up to people? I try to train her to sit when cars and other vehicles pass and she is becoming obedient to do so, but bicycles and people are still a problem She is 5 months and I take her for a walk for about 3 km on a daily basis.

Reply to zenobia
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/04/03

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert