Question
Posted by: Daisy | 2009-06-02

Jaw clicking

Hi, for years now the right hand side of my jaw has clicked when chewing anything tough. But it seems to be getting worse. I now suffer from severe pain when eating normal food and my right hand side now just aches - the pain moving up into my ear. I am not sure what caused the clicking to start off with but its getting worse. How would a problem like this be solved? What are my options and who do you see for your jaw?

Dear Daisy
See your dentist, he may need to do some basic examinations and refer you to a maxillo facial surgeon if needed. The problem is caused by the joint between the jaw and the skull. Sometimes it can be fixed by wearing a special mouthpiece at night. It may also help to use antidepressants or anti anxiety medication to prevent grinding your teeth when you sleep. Physiotherapy also helps to get rid of spasm in the mouth and jaw muscle groups.
See http://health.yahoo.com/musculoskeletal-overview/temporomandibular-tm-disorders-topic-overview/healthwise--hw209472.html