Question
Posted by: caloriecounting | 2009/10/21

Japanese food

I am trying to cut down on calories as i need to lose weight. I am going to a birthday party and would like to know which of the Japanese foods (going to a Japanese restaurant) have the least amount of calories. I know that Miso soup is low cal, but about sashimi: tuna is less than salmon? Also, what do they mean when the say " linefish sashimi" ? would that have LESS calories than the tuna sashimi? Last question.....when i search online, it gives me the calories per ounce etc. Do you know how many grams 3 pcs of sashimi would be (ie, how many cals would there be in 3 pieces).

sjoe, sorry for this long post.

Thnx in advance!

Dear Calorie Counting
Japanese food is generally low in kcal, which is why obesity was practically unknown in Japan until western fast foods were introduced! I would like to be able to calculate how many kcal are found in sashimi, but unfortunately the SA Food Tables only list canned salmon and tuna, while you will be eating raw fish. In addition the Tables only list what is classified as "Fatty fish" for varieties such as salmon and tuna. To complicate matters the fish values are all for cooked fish, because these Tables were compiled before sushi became popular in SA. As a guideline you can use the values for steamed salmon of 197 kcal per 100 g. You will have to ask the sushi expert at the Japanese restaurant how much the 3 pieces of sashimi weigh and then do a quick calculation with your cell phone. I do think that you will be able to eat normal portions at this birthday party without hampering your weightloss, provided you do not drink any alcohol or sweetened cold drinks. Stick to soda or bottled water. The conversion factor for ounces to gram is 1 ounce = 28,4 g.
Enjoy the party!

1

Dear Calorie Counting
Enjoy the party!