Question
Posted by: TC | 2010/07/15

Jack rustle

Hi Doc,

Fred my Jack rustle (10 years) does not look happy. He is walking around grunting all the time. His tummy is very hard and bloted again. I have had him at the Vet some time ago and they did xrays and say that he was just over weight, but I cant help but feel that there is something wrong as he has lost weight since then.

This morning he had pood in his bed (nothing big just 2 hard little pieces), but what I did notice is that he seems to be wetting himself. His bed had little damp spots and from our bedroom to outside were little drops of wee.

I plan on taking him to the Vet tonight but your advice will be appreciated.

Hi TC

It is very difficult to comment on Feds condition as I do not know his history - how long has he had the problem, diet fed, excessive drinking urination, vomiting/diarrhoea, is he on any current medication that may cause the symptoms he is presenting with e.t.c. However i can advise you on a possible diagnostic protocol following an examination.
a) Take new abdominal/thorasic X-rays . One can check the size of the organs and access for any radiographic abnomalities be that skeletal or tissue. These X-rays could be compared with his previous X-rays.
b) Take a blood sample and do biochemistry and haematology - this may give an indication as to where the problem if any could be isolated.
c) If an area is located then I would then probably ultrasound the abdomen to acertain if there is any obvious changes in certain of the organs. This may then lead to a possible treatment plan or futher diagnostics such as a biopsy or an exploritory abdominal investigation.

I hope this assists.You have to understand that not all the procedures need to be conducted as the clinican maybe able to identify what the problem is.

2

Maybe your dog is constipated - the hard poos could indicate this. My dog also had this at one stage, and when the vet checked her abdomen there was nothing wrong. So she recommended a product called Animalax (a laxative for pets) and that seemd to sort the prob out.

Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/07/15

Hi TC

Reply to CyberVet