Posted by: Yvette Roux | 2011-11-30

Jack Russels fighting

Really hope you can help me, i have 2 Jack Russel boys (ages 7& 6), both of them have been neuted.
But now recently they''ve been starting to have ugly fights with ea other, and it is only when I am at home. They do not fight when they alone during the day or when my housemate is there.
I have tried to keep them apart, but am scared that might bring more jealousy out towards the other dog if 1 is say kept outside, while the other is inside.
I''m also to scared to have walks with them, for if they start fighting in the middle of the walk.
Someone suggested i get them muzzles, so they can be together, but wont be able to hurt each other, but then i also hear that might also worsen the situation.
Can you please give any suggestions?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Yvette, what has occurred is that you have a case of resource guarding, so to speak - the resource - you!
This is not difficult to sort out but you do need to call in a professional. Unfortunately any reactive behaviour can very quickly, and easily get worse and serious damage can occur - its a bit like trying to teach somebody to scuba dive by e-mail!
You can either contact me at to let me know where you live and I will put you in touch with somebody, or else google for somebody near you. In cases like this you definately need an accredited behaviourist. thanks and good luck, Scotty