Question
Posted by: Suzanne | 2011/05/18

Jack Russells - travelling a lot

Thanks for your earlier advice re: the urinating in the house. It was very helpful. I''m back for some more advice. My dogs are quite dependent on me. They sleep with me etc. I have a job that requires travel, sometimes a lot depending on the project. If I''m away for 1 night only I leave them at home and they sleep in the garage, then my doggy sitter feeds them twice daily. With my new project coming up I will be travelling a lot again, I did not travel much last year. Do you think I can leave them alone for 2 nights, with the doggy sitter feeding them, or should I take them to the kennels. The garage is heated (especially for them) and I bought them an electric blanket as well. It is just a hassle, because if I have to fly out I have to drop them of the previous day and collect them the day after my return. And they charge 1.5 times what the doggy sitter charges. I feel so sorry for them, but I did not have this job when I got them. It was never planned this way. I always feel so guilty leaving them alone overnight. Your advice would be much appreciated.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Suzanne, I have answered on the forum. For some reason this did not initially come to me so it shows a 0 response. Have a look and if you need more help, please just shout. Thanks Scotty

2
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/05/20

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert
Posted by: scotty | 2011/05/19

Hi Suzanne, firstly sorry for not replying sooner, for some reason the question did not come directly through to me - luckily i check the forum on a regular basis so can answer this way.

If your dogs are comfortable with the doggy sitter, i would think that this would be better for them - they are in their own space and seeing somebody they know. What may be an idea is to ask them to drop in a bit more, during the day to spend half an hour with them in addition to meal time and make sure they are ok. I would also suggest that you let your local vet know you will be away and arrange that if either of the dogs are ill that the sitter can take them to the vet.

Also dont let the dogs become too depnedant on you, let them spend some time outside, away from you while you are home. You can start this off slowly and use this time to give them a nice big chewy raw femur or rawhide while outside. This will change their perseption of being alone from one of punishment to one of reward. Start off with a few minutes and then gradually build up the time period. Good luck with the new job and so pleased you are making progress - well done! thanks Scotty

Reply to scotty