Question
Posted by: Jo | 2011/03/28

Jack Russell Puppy drinking Urine

Hi There,
Please can you assist, I have 2 JR Puppies about 12 weeks old, one of whom drinks urine (both his own and that of the other puppy) There is plenty of fresh water available to them so it cant be that he is thirsty. I have also read this happens if you disapline a dog for messing in the house but I have never done that either. What could be the cause of this and how do I stop it?

Thanks,
Jo

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Jo, nice to hear from you and good luck with the pups!. This sometimes happen if you have bought pups that were kept in a cage, such as from a pet shop. Dogs are naturally very clean animals and if they dont have the space to have a seperate area for elimination purposes, this can sometimes happen.
It can become habit forming, so the very second you see this happening, distract the pup onto a nice chew toy instead.
Another reason it may occur is that pups explore their world with their mouths and noses, so again have lots of stimulating chew toys for them.
It is seldom medically related, but can occur if the dog does not have access to water or has a urinary tract infection, so do mention to your vet as well and see what they say.
There is a lot of free info on pups on the Friends website that will give you additional tools (see under my CV) and do make sure you take them to puppy socialization classes - you will be laying the foundation for their social skills for the rest of their lives.
Make sure you keep your pups entertained with good quality chew items and rotate them to provide interest.

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/03/30

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert