Question
Posted by: Priscilla | 2011/09/21

Jack Russell fights with German shephard pup

I have a Jack Russell who is 10 years old and a German Shephard pup who is 5 months old, my Jack Russell is always fighting with the GS and the GS is very playfull, he wants to play all the time, The JR is also messing in the GS eating bowl after he has eaten, I think the JR is jealous but I give them equal attention, What can I do for the JS not to fight with the GS and also the messing in the eating bowl

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Priscilla, nice to hear from you. Ok, from a management point of view, just pick up the GSD food bowl and that will stop the behaviour of messing on it.
Secondly if the GSD has not been sterilized, have him done so immediately. He will be a threat to the pack hierarchy and having him sterilized will improve this.
Unfortunately by giving the dogs equal attention you are inadverently upsetting the pack hierarchy. The JR obvisiously see's himself as pack leader and should be treated as such most of the time. However, you and the rest of the family are the actual pack leaders in the combined human/canine pack and as such it is what you say that should be listened too, not the JR.
You need to bring in some basic House Rules (you can find the article on this on my friends of the dog website which will help to elevate you and rest of the family.
Overall, it is best to let dogs sort out the relationship between themselves unless aggression becomes an issue. If you are taking the gsd to puppy training, the instructor will be able to give you some hints, but do make sure you bring in the House Rules so you can stop any unacceptable behaviour. At the moment it sounds like the JR wont listen. Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/09/21

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert