Posted by: Carmen | 2009-06-11

Jack Russell: crying and not house trained

We have a 5 month old Jack Russell puppy. He spends the day in our front garden and backyard. He' s not house trained and sleeps in his bed in our kitchen during the night. It' s a mess every morning!!!! How and where do I start training him? He falls asleep at about 9pm and starts crying incessantly at 3 in the morning! Most times we ignore him til he goes back to sleep, but sometimes to avoid the entire family waking up, I' d take him to the couch with me. How do I get him to stop crying? It' s too cold to put him outside, even in a kennel.
Thanks, Carmen

Dear Carmen

Read the replies, buy a book and spend time with your dog.

Posted by: Jack Russell Owner | 2009-06-12

I have 2 JRTs and they sleep with us in the bed so I understand about the cold outside, but like anything routine is king. You needs to be proactive and think for them (until they get the hang of it). After a meal, or drinking water, they have to go outside. When you' ve played with them, take them outside. Just before bedtime and as they wake up. Get a word associated with this duty. And if you take them outside and they don' t do anything right away it doesn' t mean they don' t need to. Keep at it, and praise them for doing it right.!! Good luck and don' t give up.

Reply to Jack Russell Owner
Posted by: Chill | 2009-06-11

Or he might be crying to be let out... raising and housetraining a puppy doesn' t happen automatically - it' s damn hard work.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2009-06-11

A puppy needs to be taught by its human to go outside.....he needs to be taken outside in the freezing wind or rain regularly , he needs to go out after meals .. and he needs to be praised every time he does his piddle or poo.

He might be crying because its cold where he is sleeping .

Reply to Carol