Question
Posted by: Rose Hoepner | 2011/07/18

Jack Russell

Hi there. I bought my husband a Jack Russell as a gift as he is crazy about JR''s. We have no other dogs. Since very small he has taken the JR to work and only comes home quite late in the evening so of course the dogs sees a lot more of my husband than it does of me. She recently had a litter of puppies which she had to stop feeding at three weeks old due to Eclampsia and I raised them from that time on plus I gave the runt supplemntary bottle feeds from new born. She was never a very protective mother. Now all the puppies have gone and ten weeks since she had them we have had her spayed. She still goes to work with my husband but suddenly when she is home she only wants me and try as he can, the dog will not come to my husband, but stays by me. He is getting very upset by her behaviour. Do you think it has anything to do with me bringing up her puppies? By the way, she is only 20 months old herself.
What should he do about it?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Rose,the green eyed monster is at work -just having a laugh as I can imagine how upset and put out your hubby is - he feel he has lost his number 1 fan!
It sounds to me that while you cared for her pups, your pack status in her eyes increased and she is reacting accordingly. Please tell your hubby that this is not a bad thing at all. It is not good for a dog to be so bonded to any one person as if that person goes away, gets sick or even dies, you have a dog that cannot cope. It is far better that she is happy with both of you. I would even work on building her confidence with you further by sharing the responsibilty of caring for her and getting her to 'work for her living' by getting her to sit/stand/wait for food, attention, walks etc. Also bring other family members into her circle and get her to interact with them more. Also for both of you (and any other family members) to walk her, feed her and play with her seperately. think about it from a human prespective - would you be happy if you had a child that would only go to mum? No, as a child needs to be happy with all members of family and friends, so too does a dog.
Hope this helps, thanks Scotty

2
Posted by: Rose | 2011/07/20

Thank you for your reply. Actually she is a very well balanced dog who loves all people and all dogs.

Reply to Rose
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/07/19

Hope this helps, thanks Scotty

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert