Question
Posted by: Suzanne | 2011/08/07

Jack Russel - behaviour problem

I moved to a new home the last month and don''t have the garage for the dogs to stay in any longer. I bought them a nice wooden kennell and heated it with an infrared heating lamp, but my dogs are not adjusting to the change. I literally have to carry the one out of the house or bribe her with special food to get her out of the house to leave for work. The house does not have the option of a doggy door as I only have a sliding door leading to the garden.
At least a good thing happened and I started working from home last week, but I will still have to travel and sometimes leave at 4am to go to the airport. \When I sleep out they go to the kennels where they are very happy. It is log cabins, with grass patches and the woman takes care of the 10 cabins herself, she has no help at all. My dogs love her.
My other problem is: the older one, and I think she is the dominant one started growling at the other one since this morning. The other one can''t come near me. Is she just feeling sick (because she gets back problems and she had gastro recently, seems she gets sick all the time lately) or are they getting too much attention with me at home. I feel sorry for the other one, because she does not deserve it and I don''t know how to handle it. They never used to fight over me and they are 7 years old! Her behaviour is very strange. They say female terriers fight over space in bed etc, but mine happily share the bed, couch etc. I can even move one to the other side of me because the other one want to sit on the left e.g. Now the older one is just growling at the younger one constantly. Please help!

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Suzanne, I think i heard from you a while ago while you were just moving and suggested you speak to the body corporate to put in a temp hole into the garage or through the wall to the garden for the doggy door?

It is difficult with so little information and not having seen the dogs to know exactly what is causing the growling behaviour. If could be pain related, the stress of moving plus the changes in sleeping arrangements, it could be you being home more, or even a combination of all of the above! What I would suggest firstly is to take the dog to the vet for a through checkup to ensure that the dog is not in pain and the vet can then give any medication that is required. If the problem is occuring due to any physical causes then virtually nothing you do with behaviour will help.

What i would suggest you do is realize that you are doing the very best you can for your dogs and dont feel guilty. Bring in basic house rules (link below), treat them as normal, and if the one dog does growl at the other, firmly put your foot down (you are pack leader) by shouting a loud 'no', and the second the dog stops, praise for stopping. If the dog continues, then take ti by the collar, with no talking or interaction at all, pop it in the toilet for 30 seconds, then without interacting with dog or talking, bring it back to the situation that cause this time-out, and if it happens again, repeat.
In the event that the behaviour is stress related, I would suggest you try some of the basic TTouc such as Noah's March and Ear work which will help calm the dogs and even speak to your vet about the dogs going onto some calming medication for a while. There is an article on my website friendsofthedog in the Dog Stuff section called Shelter Dog - thinking about adopting one and this will give you both the basic hgouse rules and the basic TTouch. Good luck, I think your dogs have a wonderful caring owner and that you are doing your absolute best - which is all that any of us can do!

3
Posted by: Aira | 2011/08/11

Was totally stuck until I read this, now back up and rnunnig.

Reply to Aira
Posted by: Suzanne | 2011/08/10

Yes, I posted about moving house. And it seems they are having difficulty adjusting to their new kennell. I think you are right about the pain issue, the one that does the growling gets backpain from time to time and maybe she was just in pain. It is all better now. No more growling and fighting. I just wish they will adapt to the new enviroment.

Reply to Suzanne
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/08/08

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert