Question
Posted by: Sammy | 2008/08/28

Jack is too Hungry

I have this new Jack Russell. He is almost 6months. He eats like a beast. When they get fed ( In the morning and in the evenings) he eats his food in a few seconds. How can I slow him down ? Then another thing. He also eats my other Jack' s POO. How can I stop this ? I tried putting peri-peri sauce on the poo but the next day he will do it again.

Dear Sammy

Buy the best dog food you can afford. Dogs cant digest cheap food very well and stay hungry and then start to eat anything including poo. Feed dry pellet food so the food cant be gulped. Worm him as well.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/28

First, make sure the pup is dewormed.

Second: do you know how much the dog should be eating? Dogs'  appetites vary quite a bit between individuals, and it' s based on the amount of energy they require - active dogs need more food.

Third: puppies ALWAYS eat more than adults, they' re growing and need the nutrition. The bigger they get, the more they need - a growing dog' s dietary volume should be increased every couple of weeks until he' s fullgrown.

Get a decent brand puppy food, until he' s around a year or so old (bigger breeds should get puppy food longer). Don' t worry about how fast he eats - it doesn' t matter, as long as he keeps it down.

The poo thing: some dogs like it, and obviously if the dog is hungry this will encourage him to eat it. Pick up before he can get to it.

Reply to Chill