Question
Posted by: Jonathan | 2011-04-26

Ivomec for dogs?

I have a Rottweiler who I suspect have mites. Can I inject him with Ivomec Super for cattle and if so, could you please recommend a dosage. He''s a big lad of about 60Kg, about 18 months old.

Much appreciated!

Hi Jonathan,

I would strongly advise against treating your own pet without a proper knowledge of the underlying problem and treatment protocol.

The dose range of Ivomec is parasite dependant and is meaningless unless the parasite is first identified.

Please note that Ivomec should not be administered to collies and related breeds as it may cause neurotoxicity.

Please consult your local vet for further assistance.

Kind regards

2
Posted by: Jonathan | 2011-04-26

Many thanks! Will follow up.

Reply to Jonathan
Posted by: Chill | 2011-04-26

Frankly, I have no idea at all, but why don''t you take a look at this forum: www followed by forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/farmlife/msg0713514016840.html (or simply google Ivomec) - there''s a load of information there about dosages for dogs, but they seem to be aiming at heartworm, and also seem to recommend using the stuff orally.

You could also phone Onderstepoort and ask them - they should be able to advise you.

Reply to Chill