Question
Posted by: pat | 2008/07/20

IVF vs Tubal Ligation Reversal

Hi doc
I am a healthy 37 yr old, who would love to have another baby. Unfortunately i had my tubes tied about 12 yrs ago, and wondered whether it would be better to have a reversal, or IVF. Please can i have your opinion, also info on how the procedures are performed, and who would perform them. Would it be my gynae or would i have to go somewhere else. Thank you!!!

If everything else is normal, tubal reversal would probably be the first option. It also depends on whether you had clips put on the tubes or whether they were cut and tied. Fertility experts are usually best at dealing with this.

3
Posted by: Nono | 2009/02/05

Is it possible to have tubal ligation done on an HIV positive woman wishing to conceive

Reply to Nono
Posted by: Pat | 2008/08/12

Thanks Cindy. Can you recommend a good specialist? Pref in the Durban area? Thanks!

Reply to Pat
Posted by: Cindy | 2008/07/21

Hi Pat

Hope you don' t mind me sharing my story...

Had a sterilisation 10 years ago, went for 2 IVF last year since my FS advised me that IVF was a better option since you don' t have recovery time, finally Nov 2007 I decided to go for the reversal, after spending R70.000 on IVF. June I made an appointment with a new FS, did a lap 2 weeks a go &  found out that my " so called specialist"  I had before dont specialise in reversals , and will have to re-do the reversal., the reversal cost me R37.000 WITH OUT THE LAB COST.There' s only a few specialist that specialise in reversals, be carefull when making your choice, IVF has become a big money making business, do your research well. Good luck

Reply to Cindy