Question
Posted by: Pat | 2008/07/20

IVF VRS TUBAL LIGATION REVERSAL

Hi doc
I am a healthy 37 yr old and would love to have another baby. I have however had a TL 12 yrs ago. Please could you give me info on both IVF and TL Reversal methods,and also your recommendations of which you think could be best for me to try. Thank you!

Dear Pat

The chances of tubal reversal will depend on the initial method of sterilization i.e. whether it was an excision of part of the tube or whether it was simply the application of clips or fallop rings. Also it would depend on what the partner’s sperm analysis result is and whether there are any other hormonal imbalances. Should all these be favourable then a tubal reversal may be contemplated and in good hands may give a successful result in 70 % of cases. However, this requires a fairly aggressive surgical procedure with hospital admission and a recovery period with its obvious cost implications. On the other hand the invitro fertilization process is far easier to manage with no hospital admission and therefore no indirect cost implications. In good hands the success rate should be in the region of 40% and therefore I would suggest you see a good fertility specialist before making any decisions.

Answered by: Dr.M.I. Cassim