Posted by: Polo | 2010-02-25

IVF Procedure

I had my tubes tied 6 years ago and now we would like to have another baby. We are interested in IVF but my husband wants to know how will the sperm be removed from him. He believes that a baby should be done naturally (sex). Please inform me about the procedure.

Dear Polo

A semen sample will be required from your husband either by masturbation or by having sex using a special condom that does not destroy sperms. You will be required to take injections to stimulate your ovaries to produce eggs. These will be retrieved transvaginally and will be fertilized with your husband’s sperms. Once an embryo develops it will be transferred into the uterus.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Posted by: K | 2010-02-26

Hi. About half an hour before the doc removes your eggs, your hubby will have to go and fill a bottle with sperm (at the hospital). As soon as your eggs have been retrieved, the sperm is mixed with the eggs and hopefully fertilization takes place. The embryos are then put back into you (takes about 15 mins, virtually painless) three days later (some docs do it 5 days later). In my experience (done 2 IVF''s about to do 3rd) it takes about 24 days from the start of the IVF injesctions etc. until the eggs are removed. All depends on how your body responds and when the folicles (which contain the eggs) are big enough. I am also doing it due to having a tubal ligation. All the best!

Reply to K