Posted by: Confused | 2008-12-17

IVF and antimalaria tabs

I am going to a malaria area on holiday. A week after I get back I am doing an IVF cycle. What antimalrial tabs can I take that wont interfere with my ivf protocol ?

It is best not to fall pregnant immediately after using antimalarials. Most have to be continued for a period of time after your return anyway. Either plan your holiday in a non-malaria area or delay your IVF cycle.

Posted by: Ruby | 2008-12-17

Hello Confused,

Hope you have a nice holiday!!

I am not a doctor, but I also battled for 3 years to conceive (I am now 7 weeks!) In this time we also considered holidays to Vic falls, Kruger, Botswana and Tanzania. We decided to give a skip on all these till after I conceive and till after the baby is big enough to travel there (without risk, they need to be a certain age before they can take anti-malria tablets).

Anit-malaria drugs AND malaria (so not taking the drugs is not an option) is very dangerous for your unborn baby. It is recommended that you dont try to conceive for at least 3-4 months after discontinueing the anti-malria drugs. If you were to get malaria, your own and your babies life will be in danger. To go for an expensive IVF procedure is really not recommendable while your body is basically full of poison (anti-malaria drugs). Also most of these drugs you need to continue for a few weeks AFTER your holiday. This means that you will still be on the drug when you go for the IVF. The fetus is most vulnerable the first few weeks of pregnancy and being on these drugs will probably cause you to miscarry or best case scenario effect your baby badly. Best is really to phone your clinic/doctor doing the IVF and tell him your plans. Ask him what drug he recommends and how long after your return you can book for your IVF, I am almost 100% sure your doctor will refuse to do IVF if you are still on anti-malaria drugs, the risk just does not make sense.

With me, we were just on the point of going for fertility treatment when I fell pregnant. What I did (that I think helped) is I went to gym, ate very healthy and just wanted to be as healthy as possible just for my own sake and then I fell pregnant without expecting it :-) Was a lovely surprise :-) Also, if you want to conceive, you must start taking folic acid (yellow tablets) 2 a day (now already, I started in June and conceived in November). It really helps the baby even in those days before you know you are pregnant. Also cut ALL medicine, obviously consult with you doctor, you might need to continue with some things during pregnancy, but make sure to discuss it with your doctor (he might change some things to things thats less likely to impact your pregnancy) - if you are taking any medication...

For your holdiay, you should try not to fall pregnant, use condoms or something... you really dont want to fall pregnant on anti-malaria drugs :-)

Enjoy, sorry for the long post, hope it helps!

Reply to Ruby