Posted by: Jenny | 2009-06-02

IVF &  Warfarin

I recently went for IVF treatment, had 8 eggs but all 8 did not make it and apparently of very poor quality. Only one egg got to 4 cell stage and then stopped.

The fertility specialist was unsure when to stop Warfarin and when to start Clexane and asked that I ask the doctor who treated me for the PE and DVT. My doctor informed me to stop Warfarin (and start Clexane) 7 days before aspiration.

I am wondering whether the use of Warfarin could have had any impact on the quality of the eggs? Before making the decision to try IVF for a second time, I would need to make sure that Warfarin is not the cause of this and whether I should not have started Clexane much earlier?

I would really appreciate your opinion.

Dear Jenny

It is unlikely that the warfarin is a contributory factor to poor embryo quality. The fact that none of the embryos developed beyond 4 cells could indicate a male factor problem as well and a thorough evaluation of the semen parameters should be undertaken. My recommendation is that ICSI should be the laboratory procedure of choice, if this has not already been done. Furthermore it would be safer to stop warfarin a much earlier and begin Clexane at the time of starting the down-regulation (Lucrin) i.e. around day 21 of the cycle.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Posted by: Jenny | 2009-06-07

Thank you Dr. I was not aware that it could also be a semen problem. I was put under the impression that the problem could be only with me. ICSI was indeed performed. My husband had a very high insulin level of 53. He was put on meds and the last result before IVF was 15. The doctor felt that it was okay to go ahead witht he IVF at those levels. As this is such a costly exercise, I would only really be able to go one last time. I' m so worried to go again and it is unsuccessful. Is there anything I should consider or know before giving it a last bash?

Thanks for the info regarding the Clexane, I now know to start it much ealier (day 21) as you advised.

Would a donor egg be a better choice for me seeing as I have one last bash at this?

Reply to Jenny