Posted by: Lee | 2009-09-28

Hope you had a good long weekend, can I ask you how does invitro work, just for interest sake, I have endometreosis whent
March for the opp. but still not pregnant, so I was thinking if still not by end of Jan.2010 then I might consider going for invitro, was just wondering how this procedure works, My gyne gave me chance till end of Oct 09 to fall pregnant and said if not then invitro will be the only option, but it' s so expensive and heard so many times many women after the 3rd attempt still not pregnant.
I dont suppose you have offices in Pretoria?

Dear Lee

In-vitro fertilization is a process to try and achieve a pregnancy when one is having difficulty falling pregnant for various different reasons. The way in-vitro fertilization works in summary injections are given to you to allow you to make many oocytes and monitoring will be required and once the oocytes are big enough and are mature then they will need to be aspirated and this aspiration is normally done transvaginally. Once the oocytes/ eggs are removed from the ovary they are then fertilized using your husband’s sperm in an incubator in a laboratory. This process approximately takes 3-4 days when an embryo will result if fertilization has taken place. The embryo will then need to be inserted into the uterine cavity to allow for a pregnancy to occur. The success rate depends on many factors and these factors would include the age of the patient, the quality of the embryos and the difficulty in the transfer on average one should expect a success rate of 40% in a well-selected patient. Our offices are unfortunately not in Pretoria but in Johannesburg.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo