Question
Posted by: Anon | 2009-08-12

Ive upset my best friend

My best friend is a teacher. He called me now to tell me that they have just be warned that swine flu has been found in a school in our area and that they must watch for symptoms.

I am trying to concieve so obviously my reaction was and i quote!! " honey, if there is any chance you have been exposed to swine flu i CANNOT see you, im trying to get pregnant!" 
(he is gay before people start screaming at me for calling another man who is not my husband Honey!)

He is now furious with me. He said he is at a point where he needs his friends the most and now i just refuse to see him. I told him we can still sms and call etc but he wont reply to my messages.

Am i now overreacting? or is he?

Sounds like an unreasonable over-reaction. There is far too much hysteria about swine flu. While it could possibly become a serious health concern, at present it is a milder illness than the ordinary flu that turns up each year, and has so far killed less people than the ordinary flu does.
Now, your friend has been asked to look out for symptoms of swine flu at his school. He considers this to be a major personal emergency, in whih he needs the direct close personal support of all his friends ? Ah, Pul-eease !
He is over-reacting frantically. Don't take this seriously, and leave him to cool down and realize how silly he is being. Why is this silly man so certain that he requires hand-holding just because h's been asked to report possible symptoms of a probably mild illness in others ? He hasn't received warnings of an imminent tornado or earthquake !
Contrary to the foolish comment of "paranoid" there is nothing selfish or bad about your very sensible wish to protect your potential pregnancy, even though the faint risk of an attack of the flu is probably not serious either. YOu have every right to protect yourself anyhow, from a posible avoidable infection.

8
Posted by: Anon | 2009-08-13

I suggst that you stay at home and protect your previous body, don' t worry about your friends they don' t need you as a friend.

Posted by: IMO | 2009-08-13

What if there was an outbreak of chicken pox or measles at his school? These is a VERY dangerous diseases during pregnancy. Would he still act this way if you asked him to keep his distance then? Tell him he is acting selfishly and you can still be a supportive friend over E-mail, phone and SMS for whatever “ difficult”  time he’ s going through.

Reply to IMO
Posted by: Haley | 2009-08-12

Just ignore all the negative comments. Your friend is being a drama queen- it doesn' t matter whether you are pregnant or not. The point is you' re trying and now now you do get pregnant and the flu at the same time! If your husband gets exposed to it lay of the baby trying until it' s clear from where he works. Obviously you can' t just tell him the same thing you told your friend.

Reply to Haley
Posted by: Shoo | 2009-08-12

Firstly Anon, you are not yet pregnant (TTC??). Secondly, what if your husband were to be exposed?? Would you treat him the same way and maybe ask him to move out?? .....Just wondering...

Reply to Shoo
Posted by: CTMOM | 2009-08-12

I think you did the right thing and dont beat yourself up over it. Protecting yourself from people who could have been exposed to ANY illness is not a bad thing.

If he was a real friend, he would have told YOU to stay away whether you were trying to conceive or not.

Keep being careful, people are dying!

Paranoid, buzz off! You comments are mean and unfounded!

Anything that can hurt you, can hurt your developing baby. Rather safe than sorry. High fevers that come with flu CAN hurt a foetus.

Reply to CTMOM
Posted by: Logi | 2009-08-12

Do what u feel is right....your happiness has to come first..your friend will eventually calm down and call/sms you back.....

Reply to Logi
Posted by: Anon | 2009-08-12

Paranoid do you really think so? Im trying to think of my baby and if that makes me selfish then maybe thats how i have to be? I dont want to cause any damage or harm to my body during this time as i dont know what the effects are on the developing baby?

I have googled it but cant find anything?

Posted by: paranoid | 2009-08-12

sounds like your a really bad friend and selfish.

Reply to paranoid