Question
Posted by: curious | 2009-01-06

iui procedure

I went to have an iui procedure, and both times the insemination occured three hours after sperm washing had occurred.Will this decrease my chances of success as I thought that sperm can only survive for a limited time after sperm washing?The sperm temperature was also not controlled.
And will this also increase the chances of conceiving a a girl as i read that this is the sperm that tends to last longer?

Dear Curious

You are correct that if the sperm is not controlled under good temperature conditions as well as environmental conditions then they start dying off rapidly. Sperm washing or rather the preparation for sperm washing can take between 1 and 2 hours. However during that time of sperm washing the temperatures and the environment are usually controlled if it is done at a reputable clinic. In my opinion I do not think that this will increase the chances of conceiving a girl.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo