Posted by: SAM | 2009-03-30

Hi Dr,

I would like to know more about IUI. What are the chances of falling pregnant with IUI? Will ovulation definitely take place if one uses injectables &  which ones? If an ultrasound shows development of an egg, is there a possibility of an egg developing but ovulation not happening or the egg not being released? I have been reading that some women ovulate later on clomid &  then some ovulate earlier. I have longer cycles &  will I therefore ovulate later if I took clomid? Does clomid help you produce more than one egg?

Dear Sam

The most effective stimulation protocol for IUI’s is a combination of Clomiphene (Clomid) together with low dose injectables and careful ultrasound monitoring for follicle progress. In some case the Clomid may be omitted and only injectables used but once again ultrasound monitoring is by far the most reliable to assess for follicle maturity. Once the follicles have reached maturity, ovulation is then induced by another trigger agent (injectable). The reason is precisely that which you have mentioned in that the egg may not be released (luteinized unraptured follicle syndrome).

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim