Question
Posted by: Farah | 2010/08/13

IUD

Have the Marina (I think thats the name) for the past six years.Last year my gynae said that it is still effective and that I should not remove it as there is a history of breast cancer in my family.I am 44 but have recently started putting on a lot of weight as well as developing pimples on my chin and an increase in facial hair.I have not had a period for the past 6 years but spot a little.Could this be as a result of the hormone that this particular IUD releases?My thyroid is functioning normally.

The recommendation is to change the Mirena after 5 years. There probably isn't any hormone left in it.

2