Question
Posted by: Beastly | 2011/11/08

It''s starting again :(

So here goes my story:

I bought a pup a few months ago. I potty trained him and everything was going well. Then 1 day he all of a sudden starts peeing and pooping in the house. I took him out as often as possible but the problem still persisted. I then decided to send him to training college for 3 weeks hoping that it will resolve the issue together with some behavior problems he had. Everything was perfect after he returned. He held himself until taking him outside. Everything was going well for at least 2 months until this morning, he decides to pee inside the house on my shoe.

Why would he do this all of a sudden? He is an 8 month old Pug.

Please help. I don''t want this problem to become as big as it was before.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Beastly, smelly shoes! It does not seem to be physically related as it is ok for a few months at a time. It could either be one of two things - 1. He has not been sterilized and has started to 'mark'. If this is the case get him sterilized as soon as possible and - 2. dogs often do this when they are stressed. We do not always realize how much our own stress impacts on our dogs and additionally things such as changes in routine (less walks, you out more, visitors etc), new dogs next door, building alterations etc etc.
What I would suggest you do is to keep him out the house unless he is being supervised when inside until you start potty training again. I have pasted a link below you can access on this site. Make sure you wash areas soiled with 1/3 white vinegar to 2/3 water several times and then put on some drops of citronella oil. If he is doing it at night time, then i would suggest crate training. This is not at all cruel, dogs are den animals and love their own place to snuggle up in. If you go the crate training for nights, then have a look at the article on my website www.friendsofthedog.co.za. All articles and downloads are free, so help yourself. Also start toilet training right from the beginning. Good luck and link is below, thanks scotty
http://www.health24.com/medical/Focus_centres/777-2268-2552-2678,61400.asp

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/11/08

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert