Posted by: Nic | 2012-11-25

Its only 8kgs

Hi Doc - I am not a big eater. Cereal in the morning, fat free milk, one sugar etc. Salad for lunch and normal supper (I love meat). I also have a few glasses of wine a night, I weigh 67kgs and am 1.62m high so there is room for improvement. I eat as I feel on weekends - puddings etc, but nothing excessive. I do not have a problem with portion size and dont eat any sweets during the week. I do not however, partake in any form of exercise and this is the only reason I think I may not be losing weight (as my diet is ok isnt it??). I was even thinking of going to a doctor for blood tests or something as maybe I have something else going on (insulin etc ? I''m not sure), but I dont feel otherwise unwell. I also suffer extreme anxiety and am on meds for this, but always have been so its not that. I try to eat more regulary now as the anxiety made me skip a lot of meals, but I''ve even sorted that out. I am so frustrated. I shouldnt look like this when I eat like I do. What can I do that will help shift the weight. I dont want to diet as I will never keep that up.

Dear Nic
Your present BMI = 25,6 which is slightly above the upper level of the normal range (i.e. the normal range is from 18-25). If you could lose 5 kg your BMI = 24 which would be nicely back within the normal range. If you would like to have what is regarded as an ideal BMI for adult women of 22, then you would need to weigh 57 kg, thus a loss of 10 kg. It is possible that the medications you take for the extreme anxiety can over time contribute to weight gain or hamper weightloss. Please discuss this with the prescribing doctor and ask him/her to refer you to a clinical psychologist. If you have not had therapy before for the anxiety then it may be a good idea so that you can reduce your medications under the supervision of a medical doctor of course. Until you take control of your life by combatting the anxiety, your attempts to lose weight will probably always be frustrated. In the meanwhile try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for at least 30 min a day. The exercise can be very simple and you need not join a gym. You can, for example, go for brisk walks every day or start skipping, which you can do anywhere and anytime. Physical exercise will not only help with weightloss, but also improve your mood and counteract the anxiety. So do consider becoming more active.