Question
Posted by: Aims | 2011/01/31

It''s been confirmed - IBS

I went to the doctor, with a few test it''s confirmed that I have IBS, well, the doctor said is 97%.
I can''t really find good information on the internet regarding, foods to avoid, which foods are the best etc.
What should I do now? I really don''t want a bloated tummy for the rest of my life.
Also, I smoke about 4 sigarettes a day, will this have an influenace??

Aims

Dear Aims
I am glad that you did go to the dr and that you now have a diagnosis which at least explains why your stomach expands over the course of the day. Two of the most important factors in IBS are a lack of dietary fibre and stress. To increase your dietary fibre intake and obtain tips about this condition, click on ‘Diet’, ‘You are what you eat’ and “Healthy GI tract’. If you suffer from flatulence and bloating, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is a problem for you, please consult a clinical dietitian who will work out a specific diet for your condition. (Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Your doctor will also be able to prescribe medicines which can relieve the flatulence such as Bevispas, so chat to your doctor about such medications.
To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. In this context, it would also be a good idea to stop smoking, not just for your general health, but to help you to relax. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.

1

Dear Aims