Posted by: Student Psychologist | 2009-08-27

Its all in the head?!!

Is it possible that you can hinder your weight-loss by your thought patterns?

If you were sincerely trying and were sincerely working hard at losing weight but arent able to and doctors have said its that a possible?

Iv chatted to CyberShrink and he basically said stop looking for answers and try a healthy weight loss plan which I sincerely have done including going to renowned dieticians and nutritionists in Durban. I was sexually abused at the age of 6 and was wondering if perhaps I am struggling to lose weight because my body clings to fat/food as a comfort/compensation for the trauma i went through or am I just being your typical Psych Student and attributing something to nothing when its all very simple.

Any ideas?

Dear Student Psychologist
The human mind can play a most important part in weight gain and your ability to lose weight. For example, if you have unresolved trauma from being abused at the age of 6 years, then this could either be causing depression (which is one of the psychological states that can be associated with either massive weight gain or weightloss), or make you need what is called a "psychological crutch". Seeing that you are the university, ask your lecturers to refer you to a clinical psychologist so that you can get to the bottom of this problem and learn ways of coping with whatever psychological state (depression, anxiety) is preventing you from losing weight. Once you have sorted out your psychological problems you should try an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). While you are on the ‘Weight loss’ site, read about every aspect of slimming (the dangers of diet pills, slimming aids, psychological aspects of slimming, etc) by surfing on this site.

Posted by: Anon | 2009-08-27

Hi! I' m not diet doc, but was pregnant 2 years ago nd gaind 35kg with my pregnancy. After my baby i lost it all nd she only weighd 2.5kg of the 35 i gaind. I promisd myself i would lose it all b4 i go back 2 wrk in 5months time and i lost it all. Im no psyc, but i can tell u it has alot to do with ur mindset