Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2009-10-13

Itchy scalp with sores

Dear Doc,

I suffer from an itchy scalp (not always continuously, but most of the time) and I get sores on my scalp - almost the size of medium to large pimples. They often form scabs and can be very sore - aggravated naturally by scratching/fiddling. I don' t really have dandruff.

For a while I have been absolutely convinced that I have head lice. Especially since I sometimes feel as though there is something ' crawling'  on my head and when I' ve scratched I have sometimes found something resembling what I think is a louse' s egg - small, white, round thing that can be ' squeezed/flattened'  - on my fingernail.

Although I had never found a live louse or seen nits on my hair (hard to check myself) I went to the pharmacy and purchased Gambex and the comb, treating myself as prescribed (and even more so to be certain). The itching and sores continued.

Last week I visited my GP for a hayfever injection, but asked him to examine my hair whilst I was there. He looked at it under a bright light and assured me that there was absolutely nothing indicating a lice infestation - just clean hair. He also said that my allergies may' ve been causing the sores/itching and the injection should put a stop to it.

It hasn' t at all...

Now, after a week or two of absolute relief at hearing that I don' t have lice, I am back to being convinced that I do!

Please can you give me some advice? Is there something else that could be causing these symptoms? Or could I indeed have lice, but just not any visible nits/eggs (that is what he looked for)?

As I am sure you can understand, it' s a bit embarrassing and perhaps not worth a second doctor' s visit - he' ll think I am mad!

Thanks so much.

Hallo Sarah
Nits are stuck to the hair and you won't be able to just scratch them off your scalp. You may have eczema of the scalp with secondary infection (Scalp folliculitis). Something like washing with a medicated shampoo like Selsun shampoo, using Betnovate scalp application ( a cortisone) and a topical antibiotic like Eryderm or an oral antibiotic like Tetracyclin may help. You will need prescriptions though.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009-10-13

Hallo Sarah

Reply to cyberdoc