Posted by: Angel | 2009-06-03

Itchy scalp with severe Hair loss

Dear Doc, I have been loosing my hair severely since the end of Dec08, and it' s so bad now that I have lost 2/3 of my hair… ..which is just below my shoulders. A view months after that my scalp started to itch. I thought it to be lice as I have two boys in school and they said it' s been going around. I then washed my hair SEVERAL times with Nitagon head lice shampoo...did not work. I went to see the GP he could not confirm lice but said I must try Gambex lice shampoo. He tested my blood for the hair loss (thyroid) but could not find anything wrong. I then went to the dermatologist who said that I am loosing my hair due to me having Polycystic ovarian syndrome (I also have Porphyria). He prescribed Androcur for 6mths for the hair loss. I have only done one month so far and will be starting again this week for my 2nd month. BUT my head has not stopped itching. The dermatologist also could not see that I have lice. I then washed my hair for the last month or so with a T-tree lice shampoo..thinking the natural route would be better… but no. This Monday and Tuesday I have washed my head/hair (the really little i have left) with Gambex lice shampoo..and this morning it is still itching...I am at my wits end and feel like crying. I have no more hair left and my head is itching. I change all bedding and close every time I wash! What do you suggest I do next? My husband thinks I have washed it too much and my skin is irritated… . but what started it at the beginning… it really does feel like lice. And the hair falls out by the roots every time I touch it. I don’ t know if is should cut it into a bob..but then it will look even thinner. Kind Regard. Angel

Dear Angel
The easiest way to identify lice is to comb out your hair section for section with a lice comb over a white sheet - lice will fall off and you will clearly be able to see it. It sounds more to me like you have a dermatitis or allergy of the scalp ( I tend to agree with your husband that all the chemicals could be aggravating this ) Ask your doctor if you could try using Betnovate scalp application for a while.

Causes of hairloss in women:
1. polycystic ovary syndrome
2. alopecia areata - an inflammatory condition that causes hair to come out in clumps or patches.
3. telogen effluvium - a change in the natural hair growth system that often follows childbirth, crash dieting, surgery, or a traumatic emotional event.
4. thyroid disorders, anemia, even chronic illness or the use of certain medications

Get yourself a good vitamin for hair ( Nuhair for example) and put 1 bottle Bergamot essence ( Lennon product) in your shampoo to stimulate new growth.

Posted by: Sweet Bee | 2009-06-03

Hi Angel. I have been having the same problem but i went through a terrible stress period last year sometime &  my health just took a turn for the worse. I lost 11kgs, my hair falls out so bad that i have bald patches here &  there &  like u i get so depressed at times i cry coz at 1 stage i had so much hair i couldn' t manage with it. My mum-inlaw suggested i use garlic &  u know what it is helping me. It may or may not work 4 u but its worth a try. Take whole garlic gloves &  smash them until u get the juice out or u can just cut them in half &  squeez it &  rub the jiuce on ur scalp. The best way is to section ur hair like they do in the salon &  apply it all over. I have been using it for 3 weeks now &  every night i use2 comb my hair &  count the strands that fall out &  if its about 30 to 50 strands thats normal i think. (some 1 can correct me if im wrong) Now less of my hair falls out &  i dont have any itches. Also cut down the times u wash ur hair. I brought mine down to only twice a week. &  also have a look at what shampoo u using coz i know alot of pple that have said pantene is really harsh on their scalp &  hair. I buy the small bottles of shampoo &  i change it every time the bottle gets finish. Dont use the same shampoo all the time. Hope it works out for u.

Reply to Sweet Bee