Posted by: Helen | 2009-07-29

Itchy Scalp &  Hairloss

Good afternoon Doc, how are you today? Doc, I just want to ask- I' ve never really had hair problems, except that my hair is fine. But lately, I notice that my scalp has been itchy. No dandruff or lice. So I then think my head is dry. But there is one part that is quite itchy, and everytime I scratch, my hair falls out there. Im scared of getting a bald patch. I take my vitamins but I don' t overdose on them. I bath every Sunday, Thursday and Thursday (in winter), as I walk a lot, I wash my hair on those days (with a shampoo for dry/ damaged hair). What can I do to stop this? I read somewhere that olive oil is good.

Hi Helen
You may have a fungal infection in the area, especially if the hair breaks off near the scalp.
Try using a shampoo containing selenium sulfide (like Selsun shampoo) for at least a week. If it does not help please see a doctor as you may need to take medication then.