Question
Posted by: Mike | 2010/04/13

Itchy Puppy

Hi Doc,

I have a cross bulldog / staffie that is 8 weeks old.

Since we got her, she has been scrathing none stop and this is interfering with not only our sleep but the puppy''s sleep as well, as she sits 24/7 scratching.

I have taken her to the Vet 3 times already, all they say is that she had fleas which caused irritation on her skin. We treated that with medication and a cortisone injection. The puppy is still itching and scrathing to the extent now that she is actually bleeding.

Please can you advise as to what you think the problem could be and what I should do. If it is a skin irritation, what can I get for this ?

Thanking you in advance,

Mike

Dear Mike

I would rule out sarcoptic mange first. You cn use Stronghold for cats to eliminte the mites.

3
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/04/16

Dear Mike

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2010/04/13

If the pup is only 8 weeks, then I guess if you''ve been to the vet 3 times, that means in the past 2 weeks?

Your vet should, in my opinion, be in a position to come up with something useful. There is a possibility, for example, of mange - caused by mites which are miniscule and must be identified under a microscope. Or, the pup could be allergic to whatever she''s eating - note that sometimes the preservatives in dogfood may provoke this, so it may be an idea to switch brands and see what happens. There''s also a difference between a contact dermatitis (eg grass allergy) and a systemic one (eg what she''s ingesting)

If all else fails, a veterinary specialist, or a vet with a special interest in skin conditions, should be consulted. If you''re in or near Cape Town, I can recommend some - please post again if you would like this.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Mike | 2010/04/13

I forgot to mention that when we got the puppy, we let her sleep on the bed the first night. After which we started itching as well.

Obviously we then treated the enviroment, inside and outside for fleas and the puppy has been sleeping in her own bed since then in a seperate room.

We are still itching a bit but the puppy is still itching 24/7.

Reply to Mike