Question
Posted by: Elizabeth | 2008/10/17

Itchy nipple

Dear Prof
Firstly, thank you so much for availing yourself to answering all our many questions... You are the BEST breast-man in the world!!
I am a patient at your mammo-clinic in Panorama. I am 49 years old. I recently had all my tests, (mammo etc) done, and I am fine...
however, I sometimes experience a very, very itchy left nipple... the nipple itches so much, that it looks like it almost turns white!.. I cannot scratch it, as its just too uncomfortable.. but I do rub it, and would use a natural oil, or mixture of oils including tea tree to alleviate the itch... It dissapears as fast as it came... and then it will stay away for some time... days, weeks, months... is this something to be concerned about?

Expert ImageBreast health expert

Hi Elize,

Itchy nipples occur often during menopause. it is nothing to worry about. You should become concerned (as would we be) if there is a scaly, eczema like lesion on the nipple. Then you should see you breast health doctor immediately.

Prof. J. Apffelstaedt