Posted by: Ryan | 2011-08-16

Itchy genitals

Dear CyberDoc

For about the past week I have been experiencing a rather itchy scrotum and foreskin. There is no rash or redness and the itch does not persist throughout the day, but when I scratch it it becomes worse and itches more. Sitting in a hot bath aggravates it but as soon as I scratch it the itch disappears for a while. I tried Mycospor cream on it for 2-3 days but it did nothing. I am now trying Vaseline Aloe to see if it might be due to dry skin.

I have not been in contact with anyone sexually but I do fear I might have contracted something like herpes or another STD from a public place or something. My other worry is that it could be some kind of worm?

I found that I have been sleeping rather poorly the past week and tend to wake up in the middle of the night. I don''t know if it might be the itch waking me up. I also noticed some back cramps the past few days.

Is there something over the counter I could try? I really want to try and see my GP about it to do blood tests but the costs of this concern me.

Will appreciate your help. What could it be?

Thanks doc.

It is not possible to contract a STD (sexually transmitted disease) from a public toilet. I think that your itch is due to a form of eczema (an inflammatory condition of the skin). I suggest that you consult your doctor for an examination and treatment. In the interim, you can use Anthisan cream to alleviate the itching.