Question
Posted by: Jaques | 2010/09/02

itchy feeling

hi,since thursday i have this slight itchy numblin feeling at the back of the brain and moves through my whole body, but it feels like my brain is itchy feels i can open my scull and just tickle it to feel better,it makes me on edge.it comes and go s im on cipralex 20mg and seroqeul that i brought down from 50 to 25 mg nocte,dont know if that is causing side effects i struggle with anxiety and psych told me to up the cipralex. and today then locak GP gave me some purbloka 20 bd my bp was 135/90 and neurobion tablets 1 tds any advice ? thanks

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Jaques,

The chances that the feeling is coming from inside the skull are very slim, unless it is as a consequence of your medication. Your doctor should be able to advise you about the side effects of your medication. If it is not the medication, then you need a proper medical assessment, which should include a neurological examination. The reason for this is to make absolutely certain that there is not some serious or life threatening underlying medical condition causing the headaches. Although this is uncommon, it is essential to exclude this possibility before doing anything else.

Once this has been done, then the next part of the investigation is started. The correct way to deal with the problem is to have a proper diagnosis of the underlying causes of the headache. If these are treated, the headaches no longer occur, and it is no longer necessary to rely on potentially harmful “rescue” medication.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” assessment. There are many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, and no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, the combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, are co-ordinated into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables a more comprehensive treatment plan, in which all the contributing factors are addressed. This assessment must include examination to determine the presence of tension in the head and neck muscles.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2010/09/02

Dear Jaques,

Reply to Headache expert