Posted by: Annelize | 2010-02-26

Itchy butt?

Hi, my Jack Russell keeps on rubbing her butt on the carpet. I dewormed her last month. This has been going on for quite a few months now despite a strict deworming regimen. The Vet Shop says I can''t deworm her again. It is possibly her anal glands that needs to be drained. What do you think? Is this done in the surgery or under anesthesia? I feel sorry for the poor dog to have this done while awake. She doesn''t like people touching her. I have to bribe her with a bicuit to administer the Frontline!

Dear Annelize

Easy to do anal glands and no anaesthetic needed. Most likely the glands that are full.

Posted by: Mums the word | 2010-03-10

The vet showed me how to do it myself. Pretty gross, but not painful for the dog.

Reply to Mums the word
Posted by: Chill | 2010-02-26

Takes only a moment at the vet''s - no anaesthesia required, and the relief is immediate.

Beats the discomfort of impacted glands, any day.

You should train your dog to accept treatment/handling, even if she doesn''t like it. You''re the boss, and if ever she should be really ill or injured, it could make a big difference.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: steph | 2010-02-26

my dog has her anal glands expressed about once a year, and she''s fine. she is not desperatly happy to have it done, but its better than having an itchy bottom all the time i''d think??

Reply to steph