Posted by: Esther | 2011-06-02

Itchy, Burning feeling in Genital Area

Hi Doctor,

For the last 3 months I have this itchy, burning, raw feeling in my genital area. Sometimes I have a throbbing pain as well, but that is all over the place. Not in one position all the time. I went to my GP and he did a swap and also gave me thrush medicine. It helped for a bit, but then the feeling returned.

The results of the swap showed nothing, except that the Lactobacillus in my vagina was low.

My boyfriend told me that he has genital herpes, but he is permanently on Valtrex and haven’ t had an outbreak sine I meet him.

I haven’ t had any active sores, so my doctor said it is not herpes.

What do you think it is doctor? If not herpes, then what is it? How long should I wait to do a very accurate blood test? My doctor says that nothing is wrong, but why do I have this feeling all the time?

Thank you for your help.

A low Lactobacillus count in the vagina will cause the overgrowth of yeast in the vagina, causing your a Candida vaginitis. When the infection is treated, the normal presence of Lactobacillus will restore within the vagina. In your case, I will ask your boyfriend to use Apor cream (available over the counter), applied twice daily to the penis, for at least 7 days. He could have picked up this benign infection from you and both of you will have to get treated in order to get rid of it. Please note that you will have to be treated again.