Question
Posted by: eleanor | 2010/12/06

itchy arm

For about 5 weeks my left upper arm has been deeply and intensely itchy. At first I thought it was an insect bite but there are neither marks nor any redness. I try to not touch it at all as this seems to activate the itch but sometimes wake up at night scratching and then have to rub the area with ice to stop the itch.
What on earth could be causing this and what, it anything, can I do about it? It is driving me crazy.

Hallo Eleanor
If it is just a specific area and there are no marks, rashes or anything on the skin, it could be a nerve that is being irritated, probably in your neck. This can happen due to a muscle spasm, or due to the nerve being pinched between two vertebrae. Let your doctor have a look - xrays or referral to a physiotherapist may be needed.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/12/06

Hallo Eleanor
dr Bets