Posted by: Fadeela Deedat | 2013-01-21

itching whilst exercising

I find after about 10 minutes of running on the treadmill, my thighs begin to itch. What would be the cause of this? I had a baby 8 months ago and i am trying to loose 7 kgs. I have an under active thyroid and also take Esperide/Eglonyl. Would these factors affect my weight loss? i am breast feeding.

Dear Fadeela
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. If you develop itching soon after starting to run on the treadmill you may be suffering from prickly heat or have an allergy to some component at the gym or the surroundings of your treadmill if you exercise at home. If this condition persists or gets bothersome, I would recommend that you consult a Dermatologist so that you can obtain treatment which will alleviate the itch. An underactive thyroid which is not being treated with thyroid hormone (e.g. Eltroxin or another thyroid hormone replacement), can slow down your metabolism and lead to weight gain or prevent weightloss. One of the side-effects listed for Espiride is weight gain, so you may need to discuss this with the prescribing doctor.
I hope that you can pinpoint what is making you itch because doing regular aerobic exercise is a great help for losing weight and simulating a sluggish metabolism.

Posted by: Em | 2013-01-23

I have been told you get this sentation when fat is burning off.

Reply to Em