Posted by: Michelle Kater | 2011-09-26

Itching skin with red bumps

My and I just came back from our holiday in Cape Town (we from JHB) she developed red bumps on her skin that are itching.I did put on Calamine lotion and gave her some Allergex medicine.But it is still itching and she has scrathed it until it bleeds.It does not look like chicken pox or measles.Can it also be insect bites.Please help my baby is 22 months old.

It is most likely due to insect bites but I do however, suggest that you consult a doctor for an examination to determine the best course of action. It is possible that due to scratching of the rash, she has developed a secondary bacterial skin infection, which will need a course of oral antibiotics.